Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hey! That guy has my life!

More progress made today. Slowly but surely, I'm getting back into this whole programming thing. I've now got some basic GUI elements working, which did require some "old school" tricks, involving while loops (it's all coming back to me now). I also managed to get Quig running around, picking up various, collectible items.

I know, this may not sound like much, but as I said, the checklist of functions in this game is fairly small. So, as long as I can mark at least one thing off that list each day, I consider it a success.

Meanwhile, the real world is beating down my door. I think I've promised the landlord rent 3 times now... he's handling my delinquency like a champ. My fiance, Bonnie has had a toothache for a month, and we can't afford the dentist right now. We also have a contract that needs back-peddling, in the hopes that we may actually make some money from it.

Whenever I step out to have a cigarette, I check my email, check my twitter and, if there's nothing fascinating to read, I'll watch some TwitchTV on my phone. Tonight, I was watching Danielle McMillen, wife of Edmund McMillen (creator of Super Meat Boy).

I think I follow her (and Team Meat) for two reasons.

I had watched Indie Game: The Movie, and Edmund was really the only developer in the whole movie that I actually liked (those other guys are a bit too "emo" for my taste). Seeing what they endured and how, in the end, it was all worth it, is incredibly inspiring to me.

Danielle McMillen gets very involved in her games.
The other reason, I think, is pure, envious rage. They're so happy, they have this nice house and, in the background, you can see Edmund's "platinum awards" for Super Meat Boy hanging on the wall. (I bet his phone isn't even disconnected!!) It feels a bit like peering through the looking glass at a life that's just out of reach.

I think I'll ignore that second part, and just hold on to the inspiration stuff.

For now, I suppose, I'll just stay focused. Take note of all the madness that's falling apart around me and deal with each one in turn. All the while, keep pressing forward.

"I am a leaf on the wind."

No comments:

Post a Comment